Services & Programs
Aboriginal Health Planning Authority (AHPA) provides support & expertise to address the health & wellness needs of AKRC communities funded under the Aboriginal Healing & Wellness Strategy.
The Education Department provides administration and management of the education programs of AKRC with assistance to its member communities, to plan, manage, administer and monitor.
Natural Resource Development
The work ranges from very hands-on, in the field activities, to proposal preparation, to data study. We conduct fish sampling all over Lake of the Woods, on all types of fish species.
Director of Operations
- Manage and direct the Resource Council towards its primary objectives by performing the following duties personally and/or through subordinate staff.
- Work as Executive Secretary to the Governing Board of Chiefs.
- Work as Senior Officer in charge of day to day operations.
- Work as the person responsible to ensure adherence to the principles of Kabapikotawangag Protocol.
What We Do
Role of AKRC is to provide advisory services to its five (5) member First Nation communities through conducting its governance model which provides clear models to staff and employees of AKRC, which guides us to provide better services to our First Nation communities. The Governing Board of Chiefs along with the advice of the Elders, play an important role as they give directions and advice related to the Economic Development, Education, Health, Natural Resources, Emergency Planning, Financial Planning and Technical Services.
The Executive Assistant is the first business contact a person will meet at our organization, and is a very important position. The Executive Assistant performs, but is not limited to, these daily tasks:
- Basic administrative tasks (answering the telephone, photocopying, mailing,
filing, data entry, word processing)
- Prepare correspondences, reports, and presentations
- Schedule and attend confidential Governing Board of Chiefs meetings, prepare agendas, and transcribe or distribute minutes
- Assist the Director of Operations and Program Leaders in resolving any
It is the Executive Assistant/Receptionist’s responsibility to make sure that the office flows smoothly, providing services in an effective and efficient manner.
Economic Development Advisor
The Economic Development Advisor is a conduit for economic development funding, programs and grants information, as well as resources for training and professional development.
The grants program information annually provides support for YOUTH ages 18 to 29 years for projects and activities that support ideas for ‘Starting Your Own Business” through STARTER COMPANY, an Ontario Provincial Grants Program that provides funding for YOUTH.
Other ideas are for Youth and Young Adults who want to learn how to operate a business, start a website and learn new concepts for online marketing of their business idea!
Small Business start-up and Entrepreneurship for Adults is also available.
Got an idea to start a business? Call AKRC Economic Development to start your planning and look for ideas to make it happen.
AKRC Fire Services Program
Fire Protection I Prevention Officer
The Fire Protection I Prevention Officer, is responsible to provide direct technical and advisory services to the Tribal Council and member First Nations, To develop, implement and monitor volunteer fire departments, and increase the general awareness of fire safety and prevention issues in the community.
- Assess, identify and recommend to the Band Councils and the Fire Chief on the performance, the equipment, and the training needs of each community’s volunteer fire department.
- Provide and /or deliver approved training to the Band volunteer fire departments relating to structural fire fighting and fire prevention.
- Maintain adequate training materials and records of training provided. Develop a fire prevention education program for delivery to each First Nation community and local education authorities.
- Document, identify any potential or existing fire hazards in or around the communities.
- Assist First Nations to develop, and/or update community Emergency disaster plans.
- Conduct fire and life safety inspections,
- Evaluates, approves and enforces fire safety plans
- Evaluates fire development proposals,
- Performs public relations
- Reviews and assists in building plans for compliance with relevant Codes and Standards,
- Conducts and assists HRSDC inspections of new or renovated public buildings,
- Maintains professional competency.
- Fire safety poster contest for schools
- Fire extinguisher training
- Fire prevention week
- Fire safety inspections
- Fire investigation
- Young Fire Setter Prevention
- Fire prevention material distribution
Natural Resources Department
The Natural Resources Department at the ARKC is responsible
for a wide variety of duties.
The work ranges from very hands-on, in the field activities, to proposal preparation, to data study. We conduct fish sampling all over Lake of the Woods, on all types of fish species, as well as water quality sampling and analysis. The work that the Natural Resource Department also consists of forestry, resource management, water treatment, waste diversion, and environmental assessments.
The AKRC Mining Advisor, Don Kavanaugh is working on new arrangements with local mining companies, along with the First Nations in the AKRC territory.
The Mining Industry in Northwestern Ontario is bountiful and contains much opportunity for individuals who are looking into prospecting of various mineral types. While the Mining Industry is unique, it’s also a valuable resource leading to a solid economy, long-term growth and opportunity for secure employment and business strength. AKRC is working towards building and creating new ventures in mining; and through ongoing work, new partnerships will emerge.
Phone: (807) 226-4445
Fax: (807) 226-4459
Toll Free: (888) 436-1993
Resource Council Inc.
Main Office, P.O. Box 237,
Sioux Narrows, ON P0X 1N0